Subject: Re: obj.${MACHINE_ARCH} etc
To: None <bjh21@netbsd.org, cgd@sibyte.com>
From: None <eeh@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/18/2001 18:13:22
	> I'd have no objection to that.  How would this work for kernel compiles,
	> though?  Would they stay the same as they are now (so <machine/foo.h>
	> would get <${MACHINE}/foo.h> in the kernel and <${MACHINE_ARCH}/foo.h> in
	> userland)?

	Unfortunately, kernel and userland include the same files.  which
	means that it'd either have to be done the same way in each, or some
	(hopefully temporary) #ifdefs would have to be included.

	Note that for many values of 'foo.h', the $(MACHINE_ARCH) one _is_ the
	one that should be used, and a lot of the $(MACHINE) wrappers of
	$(MACHINE_ARCH) headers should go away.

	I suppose it ends up being a fairly big task.  *sigh*

Userland should not be accessing anything in <machine/foo.h>.  If you
have multiple MACHINES for a single MACHINE_ARCH the different `foo.h'
files should be all included explicitly.  This is an issue with libkvm
that I still haven't solved.

Eduardo