Subject: Re: obj.${MACHINE_ARCH} etc
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/18/2001 09:38:59
bjh21@netbsd.org (Ben Harris) writes:
> Clearly (to me), what's needed is for builds of the same MACHINE_ARCH to
> be able to share objdirs.  Clearly, also, this won't always be
> appropriate.

Actually, in fact, in a bug-free(*) environment, it _will_ always be
appropriate.

* User-land programs for a given MACHINE_ARCH should not be dependent
on MACHINE at all -- any such dependence is a bug.

Given that arm32 is currently being split up, perhaps it makes sense
to make it the first guinea pig for:

	* install $(MACHINE_ARCH) includes as /usr/include/machine
	* install all of the $(MACHINE) variants in /usr/include
	* for user programs which have /usr/include/$(MACHINE)
	  dependencies, make them code for that explicitly.

Actually, the more that I think about it, the more
/usr/include/machine/$(MACHINE) makes sense to me, rather than totally
littering /usr/include with $(MACHINE)-named subdirs...

cgd