Subject: Re: obj.${MACHINE_ARCH} etc
To: Ben Harris <bjh21@netbsd.org>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 04/18/2001 16:58:38
On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, Ben Harris wrote:

> On Wed, 18 Apr 2001, David Brownlee wrote:
>
> > 	It would seem that the vast majority of Makefiles should be able
> > 	to share on ${MACHINE_ARCH}. Would it make sense to have the
> > 	default be ${MACHINE_ARCH} and override to ${MACHINE}?
>
> I'm slightly wary of doing that because it changes the default behaviour,
> and means that all Makefiles in existence (or at least in the tree) that
> depend on that behaviour have to be updated before the change can be
> applied.
>
> I don't much mind which is the default myself.

	Given the goal should be to have all machines of a MACHINE_ARCH
	able to share userland in the long term we should have a minute
	number of Makefiles setting obj to ${MACHINE}. I would go as far
	to say that if a Makefile has obj set to ${MACHINE} then something
	is broken (albeit with prior art :) in that part of the build.

	What would be the best way to determine what Makefiles would need
	the 'kludge'? - take the 1.5 binary sets and perform some strange
	diff that excludes RCS and similar differences?

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --