Subject: Re: /dev/stdout wierdness
To: =?X-UNKNOWN?Q?Jarom=EDr_Dolecek?= <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/01/2001 11:27:06
On Thu, 22 Feb 2001, Jarom=EDr Dolecek wrote:

> Jarom=EDr Dolecek wrote:
> > I think the code in fdesc_open() for Fdesc case should mask off
> > all flags other than O_RDONLY, O_WRONLY and O_RDWR. Note that currently=
,
> > it does not change them at all.
>=20
> Also one cosmetic - sys_fhopen() should call VOP_OPEN() _before_
> it checks O_TRUNC.

Why? sys_fhopen follows the exact same procedure as vn_open(), just w/o
the namei() calls & setup.

The desire was that fhopen(2) acted EXACTLY like open(2) except that (1)
the file had to exist (O_CREAT makes no sense), and 2) you passed in a
filehandle rather than a path. While I came into this discussion late, I
haven't seen a reason why we should change sys_fhopen().

If we change vn_open(), then yes we should also change sys_fhopen(). But I
thought the discussion was talking about the fdesc filesystem instead. :-)

Take care,

Bill