Subject: Re: wiconfig and rc.d/networkg
To: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/24/2001 04:46:08
On Fri, Feb 23, 2001 at 09:13:12AM -0700, Brook Milligan wrote:
> Given that wiconfig should presumably be run to configure wireless
> network adapters prior to ifconfig, it might make sense to include
> some mechanism in the start-up scripts to do this.  One possibility is
> a separate script (rd.d/wiconfig?) upon which rc.d/network depends.
> Perhaps a better idea is to modify rc.d/network to do this early on.

Why do you think that wiconfig needs to be run before ifconfig for
wireless network adapters?

ifconfig supports a lot of the wiconfig functionality, including:
	- WEP enable & key setting
	- power saving
	- rate (DS1, DS2, DS11)
	- adhoc or basestation mode
	- network id

It appears that ifconfig doesn't support changing some of the more
esoteric options such as:
	- station name (wiconfig -s)
	- access point density (wiconfig -a)

I think that the existing rc.d & ifconfig infrastructure supports
enough of the common wavelan card options to not justify adding extra
wiconfig specific startup goo. If ifconfig doesn't support something
that wiconfig does that we use on a regular enough basis, then we need
to add it to ifconfig.