Subject: /dev/stdout wierdness
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/21/2001 21:12:01
Hi,
the latest sort(1) bug[*] makes me wonder ....

Intuitively, if the stdout is opened append only, the access via
 /dev/stdout should probably silently enforce the open flags of
process's desc. #1 a.k.a.  stdout.  I think it's bug if it's doing
something else. Or is there any reason this is useful ?

Jaromir

 [*] sort >> file misbehaved, since sort(1) fopened("/dev/stdout", "w"),
thus truncating the input file under some conditions - Kim  & Christos
experienced this, I was not able to reproduce this. See also bin/12239.
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, dammit!  @@@@