Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/19/2001 18:50:52
I've just gone back and re-read the thread for this, well over six months
since it got implemented (nigh approaching a year), and I have a serious
question here:

	- Has anyone at all considered the potential of, at system rc
	  run time,
	  ONCE and then just _sourcing_ the scripts with the same shell,
	  with perhaps a macro which tests to see if the requisite routine
	  has been loaded in order to avoid multiple sourcing/reading/
	  forking?

I'm looking into such a solution; if nobody else gets there first, I'll
see what I can submit on this front.  It's not obvious to me at all that
this has been done or even attempted.

It'd probably significantly decrease the startup time, especially on less
well-endowed machines.

Thoughts?

				--*greywolf;
--