Subject: libpcap - not MI?
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/07/2001 08:52:34
I had occasion, today, to move a tcpdump packet file (written with
tcpdump -w) from NetBSD/alpha to NetBSD/sparc.  Trying to read it on
the SPARC with tcpdump -r produced a "bogus savefile header" whine.

On inspecting the file manually and reading the source to libpcap, I
found that there's a "struct timeval" in struct pcap_pkthdr, which
occupies twice as much space on /alpha as on /sparc.  Since this is
written directly to the file, it renders the file nonportable.

Has this been fixed by now (these systems 1.4T), or is it worth
sending-pr?  Or should I write to LBL and let NetBSD pick it up once
LBL fixes things?  Or is it a bug in struct timeval on /alpha?

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca