Subject: Re: libexec/rmail/rmail.c err()...
To: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/12/2001 09:56:24
On Thu, Jan 11, 2001 at 02:48:03PM -0800, Chris G. Demetriou wrote:
> so i notice that on 10/10 or thereabouts, libexec/rmail/rmail.c was
> changed by is (with a patch apparently by sommerfeld) to add a
> 'printf' attribute to its local definition of err().
>
> looking at its version of err(), it looks like it should have
> identical behaviour to normal libc err().
>
> A comment says:
>
>  * The err(3) routine is included here deliberately to make this code
>  * a bit more portable.
>
> However, that comment dates back to 1993, and it's not clear to me why
> we should do that for this one specific program when we haven't
> approximately anywhere else in our source tree.
>

> I'm thinking that that local err() should be nuked.  Any objections?

sounds good.

there's also a bunch of other programs in the tree that have their own
err()/warn() functions which either duplicate what the libc versions
do or are slightly different (they may syslog as well as print to
stderr), but have similar interfaces to the libc versions.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com
Luke Mewburn     <lukem@netbsd.org>      http://www.netbsd.org