Subject: twisty little threads
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/28/2000 11:13:30
I'm trying to port grip-2.95, a gtk-based gui cd-ripper to -current.
In theory it takes a CD as input and spits out mp3's complete with
cdda titles shoved into the mp3 labels.

The sticking point right now is that the cdda lookup is done in a
pthread thread (pkgsrc/devel/unproven-pthreads in this case).  I can
see the thread_create() call happening, but I never see the thread
execute even one line of code.

If a hammer on things by putting a pthread_join() right after the
pthread_create() then the thread does run and things do work
correctly, but in a non-threaded fashion.

Is there something else that needs to be done in netbsd to breath a
bit of life into threads?

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>