Subject: SSH direction?
To: None <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/14/2000 21:47:24
I'm a bit curious as to the direction that SSH is going wrt NetBSD.
We are trying to make a few decisions regarding how to implement
auto SSH authentication in a network. Now that there are a number
of competing versions of SSH, it makes things even more confusing.

We had earlier stayed with SSH1 (for several reasons), but largely
because SSH2 appeared to require an authentication server, which
was not freely available. With SSH1 you could auto authenticate
without requiring a key-server or copying your public keys to every
blasted host you needed to contact where all those hosts used your
same home directory. Also, public key management was a lot easier
with SSH1, in general.

Now we need to lock down ftp internally to use only encrypted
password mechanisms (everything else is covered), but sftp is only
available for Macs with SSH2.

Thoughts?

Thanks