Subject: Re: obsoleting /usr/include/sys/md[45].h
To: Frank van der Linden <fvdl@vaasje.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/12/2000 14:47:29
On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Frank van der Linden wrote:

: > Well, the support for this on Solaris is there primarily because
: > their syssrc is NOT available. Ours is, so IMHO we don't really need this.

If I want to compile a LKM, I am required to have about eighty megs of
kernel .c files which I'm not going to compile?  Why have third party LKM's
at all?  Just go monolithic!

: More like: they have a well-documented DDI (device driver interface),
: so you don't need the source (well, most of the time.)

And we're heading in this direction.  We have many abstractions that make
it possible to write code that relies only on <sys/*> and <machine/*> and
do many useful things.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/