Subject: Re: uucp [was: Re: Removing cvs from basesrc.]
To: None <hubert@feyrer.de>
From: Simon J. Gerraty <sjg@quick.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/12/2000 01:46:46
>P.S.: Does ANYONE use UUCP today? Seriously?

YES!  I have my ISP configured to deliver mail via UUCP (over TCP).
When my link is up, mail is delivered directly since my gateway is
the preferred MX, when its down the ISP spools it - without
impacting sendmail queue size etc.

When I relocated to CA, my machines were supposed to be down for up to
a couple of months.  The above arrangement meant that mail was simply
spooled at the ISP - with little impact on them other than the disk space
consumed.  Due to a disaster at this end the machines were down for 5 months!
When I finally got them unpacked and setup and even with just a dynamic
IP address I was able to quickly retreive the 5 months worth of mail.

Due to a stuff up with my DSL order, I'm still relying on UUCP to get
my mail.

If my mail was just being handled via SMTP, the above would have resulted
in lots of bounced mail and angst for my ISP.

So, yes I use UUCP and intend to keep on using it.

Thanks
--sjg