Subject: Re: uucp [was: Re: Removing cvs from basesrc.]
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/11/2000 14:03:33
[ On Monday, December 11, 2000 at 23:31:24 (+1100), Giles Lean wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: uucp [was: Re: Removing cvs from basesrc.]
>

> I work for a vendor, and see occasional UUCP support calls.  Not many,
> but some.  Since UUCP is so mature (stable, obsolesent :-) I expect
> there are more users who have been using it for years and who don't
> need to place support calls.
>
> It seems premature to remove it just yet, IMHO.

There is not, as yet, any complete subsystem that can replace UUCP (and
indeed one has to wonder why it should be replaced given that it can
adapt to use almost any transport protocol).

No mess of scripting over top of scp/rcp/ftp/kermit/whatever can compete
with it in terms of reliability or accountability.  All it's lacking in
these days is security and that could easily be provided by enhancing it
to make use of SSH or something similar as a transport protocol.

--
							Greg A. Woods