Subject: Re: XFree86 (3.3.6?) and keyboard jams
To: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/30/2000 22:44:09
On Fri, 1 Dec 2000, Lucio De Re wrote:

# Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 06:28:04 +0200
# From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
# To: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
# Cc: tech-userlevel@netbsd.org
#
# On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 06:16:56PM -0500, Kevin P. Neal wrote:
# >
# > You checked to make sure it wasn't getty and X on the same terminal
# > fighting each other?
#
# That's a good point.  I've always assumed they would chew each other's
# input, rather than come up with extra characters, but I've never
# figured out how to get xdm/X to start on a specific tty where I made
# sure there wouldn't be a getty.
#
# If you can reveal that bit to me (I'm sure I'm missing something
# fundamental, but the obvious routes didn't seem to work correctly,
# like disabling getty on ttyE3 doesn't ensure that xdm/X don't start on
# ttyE1, for examle :-(

In your /usr/X11/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers file, you specify the vt you're
going to use, i.e.

:0 local /usr/X11/bin/X vt02 {other-server-args}

This means that ttyE1 [the 2nd vt, they count from 1, we count from 0]
is the X display.

This currently only works on i386, I think [I don't know which others
currently support virtual consoles, though I wish SPARC did.]

# ++L

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: Rock solid!