Subject: Re: su and KRB
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 11/09/2000 15:52:08
    Michael>   I have been trying to figure out why "su" hangs for 30-60 seconds when I'm
    Michael> not on a network with 1.5ALPHA_2.
    Michael>   I had assumed it was DNS, su looking for something to log, but after
    Michael> mucking around with nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf a bit, I ktrace'ed it from
    Michael> another window:

  Okay, these are DNS requests. It asks for:
	krb4-realm.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca
	krb4-realm.ottawa.on.ca
	krb4-realm.on.ca
	krb4-realm.ca.

  I can fix the first one to timeout faster by making sure that my localhost
DNS server is found even when dhcpd has left bogus info in /etc/resolv.conf
from a previous time when it found a network.
  But, my local DNS server isn't authoritative for the other addresses and it
will have to timeout.

   :!mcr!:            |  Solidum Systems Corporation, http://www.solidum.com
   Michael Richardson |    Travelling... if you don't know where I am, how should I?
 Personal: mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca. PGP key available.
 Corporate: <A HREF="mailto:mcr@solidum.com">mcr@solidum.com</A>.