Subject: Re: BSDSRCDIR, was Re: mount*(8) linked as one binary ?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/28/2000 09:49:51
Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> writes:
> That begs the question of where the top of the build tree _is_, so
> you're asking to set BSDSRCDIR, or equivalent, in every Makefile in
> the tree.

Or in the Makefile.inc files, yes.  This is what a
relative-TOPDIR-like scheme is about.

> So the objects all go on NFS? That can't be good.

Maybe for your situation.  For mine, actually, it's plenty good (the
other side of NFS is a nice-enough Solaris file server on fast ether
of some variety, and with RAID).  Also, it means that my source/object
tree can be tweaked/built whatever machine i happen to be sitting at
right then.

In practice, this is a _not_ a problem for me, and no number of
statements by you can make it one.  8-)

Make obj has some downsides, too, in addition to the location thing.
E.g. once you make them, there's no easy non-ad-hoc way to _remove_
the bits of gunk that they add to the source tree.

cgd