Subject: Re: mount*(8) linked as one binary ?
To: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ibis.cz>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@sibyte.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 10/27/2000 10:08:56
Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ibis.cz> writes:
> > * there should probably be a way to disable this, and/or to limit
> > the number of programs which are used in this way.  (really, it should
> > be possible to switch them between built-in and stand-alone, without
> > modifying the source tree, in my opinion.)
>
> Yes, the possibility to compile any mount_* as standalone is kept - it's
> still possible to 'cd sbin/mount_FOO && make' and it would still
> build the binary.  Adding/removing stuff from the list is matter
> of editing basesrc/sbin/Makefile and basesrc/sbin/mount/Makefile.

right, but, for instance, somebody who wants an easy rebuild without
this "feature" for whatever reason can't particularly easily do that.

I'm not sure it's a problem worth solving, but it's actually similar
to a larger problem within NetBSD that is more likely to be worth
solving: it's pretty much impossible to disable builds of "random
programs" in any kind of centralized way.  if you want to do that,
you've gotta go in and hack makefiles, which is kinda losing.

cgd