Subject: Re: bin/10985 (skel files)
To: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/29/2000 04:55:21
On Fri, 29 Sep 2000, Simon Burge wrote:
> [ sorry for the direct CC Hubert & Alistair but I'm not sure if
>   you're both on tech-userlevel ]

I am.

>  + merge /usr/share/skel and /usr/share/examples/usermgmt into
>    /usr/share/skel (I think this name makes more sense than
>    usermgmt).

OK.

>  + add a "make distribution" target to share/skel/Makefile to
>    install the examples into /etc/skel.

And ship with an identical set of skel files in both /etc/skel and
/usr/share/skel?

The problem solved here is how it's done in pkgsrc: install an example
file, and let the user copy it over to the real location. That's not
what's being used in the base system. In the base system, the etc-set
contains all files that are customizable by users/admins, and the skel
files should be part of that. That way, noone will overwrite his
customized skel files on an upgrade (assuming he doesn't extract the etc
set there).

I'd therefore say: put the skel files into either /etc/skel or
/usr/share/skel, and make them part of the etc set. I don't have a
preference on which dir, but useradd may need adjusting.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>