Subject: Re: fmt and high bit characters
To: None <abs@purplei.com>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ibis.cz>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/28/2000 19:37:18
abs@purplei.com wrote:
> 	Currently fmt strips any characters with high bits.
> 	This makes is pretty much useless for formatting (or centering :)
> 	european text with accented characters and suchlike. Its made
> 	harder by the fact you may be exchanging email or working with
> 	a file that has been sent by someone ina different locale.
>
> 	Some options:
> 	      - Apply attached patch to allows characters > 127.
> 	      - Allow characters > 127 via option ('-8'?)
> 	      - Do nothing.

The right solution is to use correct locales - you can get
iso-8859-1 ones from ftp.netbsd.org, I think the one at
ftp://ftp.NetBSD.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/locale.tgz should do.
There is also a PR #3693 about this exact issue.

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, damn!  @@@@