Subject: Re: One of those mysteries...
To: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/26/2000 09:12:59
On Mon, 25 Sep 2000, Lucio De Re wrote:

> What it is that GDB does to fix the problem, I can't imagine, even
> remotely.  Something that merely executing the program as root, myself
> or "admin" (a role account for backup purposes) certainly does not.
>
> I would dearly like some help on this score, I can't feel exactly
> comfortable knowing that my backup procedures are at the mercy of some
> gremlin that only GDB seems to be able to exorcise.

	So to clarify - it fails outside of gdb, even if run repeatedly,
	but running once under gdb 'fixes' it until reboot.

	Some tests - what happens if:
		Run it under gdb directly after reboot, then normally.
		Run from a r/w mounted filesystem.
		Copy it locally then run from the remote server.

                David/absolute
			       -- www.netbsd.org: A pmap for every occasion --