Subject: Re: Whois vs. networksolutions
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/19/2000 16:14:06
[ On Tuesday, September 19, 2000 at 15:24:26 (-0400), Todd Vierling wrote: ]
> Subject: Whois vs. networksolutions
>
> If we want a "standard" whois server, until such time that our whois is a
> bit smarter, it must be whois.internic.net, with no exceptions.  We cannot
> use whois.networksolutions.com in that case either.  The drawback here is
> that whois.internic.net provides no way to recurse to the appropriate whois
> server automatically.

Indeed if the whois client isn't going to do the recursive lookup then
it must default only to "whois.internic.net".

The whois client program available at http://www.linux.it/~md/software/
is by and far the best "smart" client that not only knows how to do
recursive queries, but also knows about many other top-level WHOIS
servers.  The code is still a bit grotty and it's still not using
external tables, but it works a lot better than my old "awhois" script
(my script tried to do similar things with the plain old whois client).

--
							Greg A. Woods