Subject: troff wierdness
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Jaromír Dolecek <dolecek@ibis.cz>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/18/2000 21:20:45
Hi,
I'm having a strange problem with nroff/troff.

If I format a manpage with AUTHORS section and more than
one author listed, troff puts newline between text before
second person's identification.

Example:
Troff source:

.Dd September 18, 2000
.Dt EXPR 1
.Os
.Sh NAME
.Nm expr
.Nd evaluate expression
.Sh SYNOPSIS
.Nm
.Ar expression
.Sh AUTHORS
Original implementation was written by
.An Some Hacker Aq hacker@NetBSD.org .
Some other text
.An Other Hacker Aq hacker2@NetBSD.org .

it gets rendered by nroff to this:

"""
EXPR(1)                     NetBSD Reference Manual                    EXPR(1)

NAME
     expr - evaluate expression

SYNOPSIS
     expr expression

AUTHORS
     Original implementation was written by Some Hacker <hacker@NetBSD.org>.
     Some other text
     Other Hacker <hacker2@NetBSD.org>.

NetBSD 1.5                    September 18, 2000                             1
"""

If I go, edit /usr/share/tmac/tmac.doc-nroff and comment out
the line with
.       if "\\$1"AUTHORS" .nr nY 1

the the same text gets rendered correctly as:

"""
EXPR(1)                     NetBSD Reference Manual                    EXPR(1)

NAME
     expr - evaluate expression

SYNOPSIS
     expr expression

AUTHORS
     Original implementation was written by Some Hacker <hacker@NetBSD.org>.
     Some other text Other Hacker <hacker2@NetBSD.org>.

NetBSD 1.5                    September 18, 2000                             1
"""

To me, this seems like the definition of An macro in tmac.doc
is broken - why it inserts .br befory every author name but the first ?
What is the code exactly trying to achieve ?

For now, a solution is to not use section name AUTHORS, but AUTHOR :)

Jaromir
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, damn!  @@@@