Subject: Re: fmt -c (CVS commit: basesrc)
To: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/18/2000 10:59:01
On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 09:53:04AM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	FreeBSD used '-c' for center, so we have to be incompatible with
> 	someone :) I could go along with switching center to '-C' - is
> 	anyone interested in implementing crown margin? :)

The principle of least surprise would encourage me to be compatible with
FreeBSD, rather than Solaris, purely on the bases of other similarities.

Further, centre (oh, OK, center, then) is a much more intuitive meaning
for -c than "crown margin", at least for those not in typographical
circles.

Basically, I'd rather follow FreeBSD (this once) than ancourage them to
follow us the Solaris route.

++L