Subject: Re: /etc/default ickiness...
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/15/2000 21:32:53
[ On Friday, September 15, 2000 at 15:07:55 (-0700), Greywolf wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: /etc/default ickiness...
>
> I'm not thrilled about the rc.conf.d stuff suddenly showing up, but
> at the moment it appears that actually USING rc.conf.d is optional.

It's definitely optional.  It isn't even documented!  You're putting a
lot of stock into something that's invisible to all but those who read
/etc/rc.subr!  :-)

> I have a suggestion for the "xdm" and "xfs" rc.d scripts and anything else
> 	The base X directory needs to be variable.  I discarded the R6 from
> 	my X distrib (i.e. it's /usr/X11) right after R6 came out and made
> 	X11R5 obsolete.

I did the other way around -- I gave up keeping a /usr/X11 symlink when
X11R6 came out and made both R4 and R5 and X386 obsolete (I was still
running vendor versions of R4 on some systems at that time).

On the contrary though, for xdm and xfs in particular, the local
configurations should be put in /etc/X11 (with run-time and log files,
etc., in /var), like this:

$ lr /etc/X11
xdm/ xfs/

/etc/X11/xdm:
GiveConsole* Xmodmap-NCD  Xservers     Xsetup_0*    xdm-keys
TakeConsole* Xreset       Xsession*    Xstartup
Xaccess      Xresources   Xsetup       xdm-config

/etc/X11/xfs:
config

$ fgrep /var /etc/X11/*/*
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:DisplayManager.pidFile:         /var/run/xdm.pid
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:DisplayManager.errorLogFile:    /var/log/xdm-errors
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:DisplayManager.authDir:         /var/xdm/authdir
/etc/X11/xdm/xdm-config:DisplayManager*userAuthDir:     /var/xdm/userauth
fgrep: can't open /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-keys: Permission denied
/etc/X11/xfs/config:#error-file = /var/log/xfs-errors

--
							Greg A. Woods