Subject: Re: proposal: disable *printf %n specifier in libc in NetBSD 1.5
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 09/11/2000 13:59:43
On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Noriyuki Soda wrote:

: > that, though if/when we support gettext() and similar I18N functions
: > they should perhaps do a format-equivalence sanity check.  (i.e.,
: > verifying that "%s %d" is equivalent to "%2$d %1$s").

The message catalog conversion tools are the ones that would be responsible
for such a sanity check.  The catgets compiler (gencat) doesn't have the
information to compare, but a gettext compiler (msgfmt) does.

: Probably you already know (but to be sure), we already have
: a gettext()-equivalent function, catgets(3).

We will also have libintl (gettext) soon, as it is specified by SUSv2.  I
have a half-complete implementation now, using Berkeley DB for message
database access.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  http://www.wasabisystems.com/