Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc: shutdown -T
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/24/2000 13:55:28
[ On Monday, July 24, 2000 at 11:56:09 (-0500), Frederick Bruckman wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc: shutdown -T
>
> > No, it's never right.  There maybe should be a generic timeout in the
> > rc.d mechanisms that any "stop" command can *optionally* use.  However
> > it's *never* right to timeout the entire process when the fault is only
> > in a handful of scripts.  All scripts *must* be given the chance to run
> > (unless of course the operator interactively interrupts the process).
>
> OK, so how _do_ you let an rc.d script timeout?

You can put alarms and traps in a script fairly easily....  A framework
doing this is what I was thinking could be made available in
/etc/rc.subr for those shutdown scripts that need such support....  It
could even be used for start_command in some cases where you want the
system to come up even if in a degraded way!  ;-)

--
							Greg A. Woods