Subject: Re: Suggestion: inclusion of the truncate(1) utility into the tree
To: Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/24/2000 00:19:56
On Mon, 24 Jul 2000, Joe Abley wrote:

# Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 18:47:57 +1200
# From: Joe Abley <jabley@automagic.org>
# To: tech-userlevel@netbsd.org, tech@openbsd.org
# Subject: Re: Suggestion: inclusion of the truncate(1) utility into the
#     tree
#
# On Mon, Jul 24, 2000 at 09:17:34AM +0900, ITOH Yasufumi wrote:
# > In article <20000722013309.801A490@proven.weird.com>
# > woods@weird.com writes:
# >
# > > Sorry but no, you cannot.  It is not possible to do from the shell, awk,
# > > dd, cat, or whatever, what truncate(2) and ftruncate(2) do, at least not
# > > without building a truncate() call into the tool of your choice.  You
# >
# > dd of=file_to_truncate bs=1 seek=new_size count=1 </dev/null
#
# Ha!  yasufumi++

Yes, indeed, chalk one up for yasufumi!  My bad.

Greg, I believe that the skip= parameter has been there for quite some
time... 4.3 is verifiable; the man page which states "4th Berkeley
Distribution" implies as far back as 4.0 (or 4.1 if there was no 4.0);
I'm willing to place a bet on SVR0.

...can anyone else confirm its existence in V7, which would sub-
stantially predate either of the above?

#
#

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD: Where would you have rather been today, tomorrow?