Subject: Re: Suggestion: inclusion of the truncate(1) utility into the tree
To: Alexander Langer <alex@FreeBSD.ORG>
From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/21/2000 16:57:09
On Sat, Jul 22, 2000 at 12:36:52AM +0200, Marc Espie wrote:

 > Next time you're bored, time NetBSD makewhatis (you know, the one in C).
 > Now, compare it to OpenBSD's version (you know the one in perl).
 >
 > Now guess which one is faster.

Uh, "so, who cares?"  Besides, that's likely to be a regexp library issue,
not a "perl vs. C" question.

 > As far as awk and sh go, yeah, sure. Those tools exist. Perl is simpler,
 > easier to maintain, generally faster, simpler to get secure, to debug, etc.

Perl simpler and easier to maintain?  D00d, you almost made me spit my coffee
across the room I laughed to hard!  :-)

Sure, a 3 line perl script might be "easier" to maintain than a 20 line
shell/awk program ... until you upgrade your perl version and suddenly
your script doens't work anymore.

--
        -- Jason R. Thorpe <thorpej@zembu.com>