Subject: Re: Critique before commiting?
To: Brandon D. Valentine <bandix@looksharp.net>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 07/13/2000 13:42:47
On Thu, 13 Jul 2000, Brandon D. Valentine wrote:

# >...except for "compat" mode under passwd and group.
#
# Yes, but compat mode is there strictly for compatibility and should only
# be used if necessary.  In other words, it is deprecated.

It would be a shame if it went away; it gives much more granular control
than a blanket 'nis' switch.  I'd like to be able to replace, for example,
everyone's shell with /bin/ksh or /bin/csh or something that existed
if the machine had no /usr/local to hold bash.  Or I'd like to allow
only certain people on the machine using their standard NIS passwords
rather than requiring them to have a separate password for that machine.

Standards or not, if granularity is not possible within the solution,
then it is not a solution, but a bigger problem than the problem it
is trying to fix.

# Brandon D. Valentine

				--*greywolf;
--
BSD is PAR -- Powerful, Advanced, Reliable.  Is your OS up to PAR?