Subject: i386 linux_emul and /erc/passwd (Informix SE)
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Hauke Fath <hf@Tangro.DE>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/14/2000 16:12:22
Hi,

during installation of an Informix SE SQL server package (linux i386
version) I have hit a problem that may or may not be minor:

Informix relies on the OS for user authentication and access control. I
found that I could work with the database locally, but any attempts to
connect remotely (either with dbaccess or via JDBC) failed with  an
"incorrect password" message.

A ktrace run seems to indicate that the Informix access to authentication
data goes through the linux glibc which expects an /etc/shadow in a
linux-specific format and doesn't find it.

Creating /emul/linux/etc/{passwd,shadow} analogous to a suse linux
installation appears to be just as irritating for Informix -- it reports an
authentication error.

Any helpful insights from anyone in netbsd-land?

	hauke

--
This message was created and sent using the Cyberdog Mail System.