Subject: Re: sysv ps(1) implementation [was: ps(1) sysv silliness]
To: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 06/09/2000 01:20:11
Wolfgang Solfrank wrote:

> Hi,
>
> while I'm not sure whether I like this sysv-ish ps, this one caught my
> attention:
>
> > I would really like for people to be able to do something like
> > 'alias ps ps-sysv' so that they can just type "ps -<sysv opts>"
> > and the right thing happens - just looking for ps-sysv in __progname
> > wont work in this situation.
>
> Why not?  Looks like one of us must be confused here...  Can you explain?

I was a bit too brief, and should have expanded more on the "something
like" bit.  The way I ``alias'' a lot of things is to put a symlink in
an arch-specific bin directory.  Eg, on Ultrix machines, I have:

	$HOME/bin/ultrix/vi -> /usr/local/bin/nvi

so that regardless of the shell I'm using, "vi" runs "/usr/local/bin/nvi".
In this situation, __progname is "vi" and not "nvi".

So, yes, a normal csh-type alias would work under some situations, but
not all...  OTOH, if I'm the only one that uses this sort of thing then
just groping __progname will be good enough.

Simon.