Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
From: Eduardo Horvath <eeh@turbolinux.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/05/2000 08:55:14
On Wed, 3 May 2000, Greywolf wrote:

> Speak up, folks.  We have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

All right, I'll spout off.

I like the idea of rc.d, but I think the concept of rc.conf conflicts with
that design and should go.  I think each individual rc script should have
a small configuration section at the top which is editted directly.

But I really do not want to see are 1000s of little rc.conf.d/*.conf
scripts that need to be kept in sync with the stuff in rc.d.

I think a reasonable compromise is to have the rc.d scripts set variables
that can be overridden in rc.conf, and some utility to synchronize rc.conf
with the rc.d scripts when the system configuration is changed.

Eduardo Horvath