Subject: Re: Proposed rc.d changes....
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 05/01/2000 21:01:06
[ On Monday, May 1, 2000 at 23:36:52 (+1000), Luke Mewburn wrote: ]
> Subject: Proposed rc.d changes....
>
> The first two are about to be committed, barring serious objections.
> The rest probably need some more discussion.
>
> Details:
>
> 1. Using `shutdown' instead of `stop' as the argument to rc.d scripts at
>    shutdown(8) time. (Simon Burge posted about this last week)

Although the "shutdown" parameter is probably the only sane way to solve
the problem it's intended to solve with the current single-directory
scheme, I'd rather see separate init.d/rc.d/shutdown.d directories
instead and then forget the "shutdown" parameter.

I suppose it still might be a good idea to include an environment
variable, or a second parameter, to indicate that the invoker is
/etc/rc.shutdown and not a normal human, though I can't really think of
any need for this yet.  Are there any "services" that need to be
partially shut down at the right time during an automated shutdown?
With a separate directory a separate partial-kill script could be linked
in to solve this problem without a flag of any sort....

--
							Greg A. Woods