Subject: Re: A survey of modern startup systems
To: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
From: John Nemeth <jnemeth@victoria.tc.ca>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/27/2000 23:54:37
On Aug 8,  9:32pm, Nathan J. Williams wrote:
}
} With the latest round of the rc.d flamage, I was reminded that I
} wanted to go look at some of the current Unix-like systems in the
} world and find out how they deal with this pile of muck. I've
} collected information on Irix (6.5), Digital Unix (4.0), Solaris
} (2.6), and RedHat Linux (6.2). Major missing data points are Debian
} Linux, BSD/OS, and HP-UX. I glanced at FreeBSD and didn't find much
} interesting.
}
} The survey describes the following properties of each system:
}
} "enable":   How a startup script or service is turned on or off.
} "options":  How startup scripts or services are provided with parameters.
} "ordering": What determines the order of the scripts to run, and how
}             that ordering is maintained.
} "commands": For systems subdivided into per-service scripts,
}             SysV-style, what commands the scripts generally support.
}
} Other tools for dealing with this part of the system are
} mentioned. Known integration with the native package systems is also
} mentioned.
}
} Improvements, corrections, and additional data points welcomed.
}

*****
* HP-UX:

enable:   existence of script in /sbin/rc<n>.d

ordering: SysV-style rc<n>.d directories full of numbered symlinks.
	  Links installed as part of packages.

commands: start_msg, stop_msg, start, stop; not all scriphts have stop*

}-- End of excerpt from Nathan J. Williams