Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Kimmo Suominen <kim@tac.nyc.ny.us>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/18/2000 22:03:22
I don't really like things that just "go" -- there are already examples
of this in the Linux world where various services are enabled on a stock
system, without the user really knowing about them (or needing them).
IMHO it would be better if daemons do not run automatically, but rather
require the system administrator to enable them.

I've been looking at the apache pkg (in hopes of upgrading to using the
pkg instead of a locally maintained copy) and these feelings have only
been made stronger.  The apache pkg installs a default configuration on
the system (in /usr/pkg/etc/httpd/httpd.conf), which in combination with
the startup script would publish files openly.

I would feel better about just providing a sample configuration file that
the administrator can modigy and install next to the other host-specific
somewhere in /etc (e.g. in /etc/httpd) and the server should default to
that location for its configuration (so it would fail to start without
intentional configuration).

+ Kim

--
Kimmo Suominen