Subject: Re: rc.d
To: Jones, Carrie (Bowen) <carrie.jones@anchorgaming.com>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/17/2000 11:41:53
> There has been no response that I can see.

There have been considerable substantive responses so far.  Since the
opponents of the change are just repeating themselves, there's really
no point in repeating the responses.

That said:

The primary advantage of an rc.d-style system is that it enables
fail-safe addition and deletion of daemons and other boot-time
activities as part of packages.

Some of the more vocal opponents of rc.d seem to prefer that we
continue to require that people hack their /etc/rc.local file by hand
whenever they want to add services.  I really have better things to do
with my time; I'd rather put my effort into improving NetBSD rather
than administering my growing herd of netbsd boxes.

						- Bill