Subject: Re: rc.d
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Lucio De Re <lucio@proxima.alt.za>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/17/2000 11:21:03
On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 12:56:12PM -0500, der Mouse wrote:

> Recently (= approximately this past year), it seems, someone has
> decided that a larger user base is a sufficiently good thing to be
> worth dropping the niche people for, and this has resulted in things
> like the package system and /etc/rc.d, things designed to make life
> easy for the "I don't know computers and don't want to have to" crowd,
> the people whose idea of complicated system administration is having to
> actually type pkg_add at a shell prompt instead of clicking in a GUI.

I sympathise entirely.  Until I actually discovered how neatly the pkg
system actually operates, I was convinced it was a bad idea.

And the crunch here is that the new RC stuff is not of the same caliber
as the PKG stuff (perhaps?  this is not meant to shaft Luke), and more
sensibly, perhaps we should package Luke's stuff instead of providing it
as the default.  That would certainly appeal to me, I am not speaking for
other die-hards.

++L