Subject: Re: rc.d
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Greg A. Woods <woods@most.weird.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/15/2000 16:31:22
[ On Wednesday, March 15, 2000 at 07:08:03 (-0800), Jason R Thorpe wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: rc.d
>
> On Wed, Mar 15, 2000 at 08:00:03AM +0100, Bernd Ernesti wrote:
>
>  > > Dropping in scripts currently does mean editing rc.conf, which
>  >
>  > You never need to edit rc.conf. /etc/rc.local.conf is enough.
>
> You don't seem to get it... editing ANY file is a Lose.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean there.  Making changes to the content
of a file means that those changes can be very easily tracked using
existing simple tools, such as RCS.

Hopefully you didn't mean the obvious alternative that comes to my mind,
which is to move files around, create links, and so on (which is the
*only* problem I've ever had with the SysV /etc/init.d scheme :-).  Such
things are a lot harder to track because doing so requires adding
another layer above which allows the changes to be recorded within the
body of one or more files.

--
							Greg A. Woods