Subject: Re: more work in rc.d [was Re: rc, rc.shutdown proposed change]
To: None <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@cs.rmit.edu.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 03/13/2000 09:18:45
Hubert Feyrer writes:
> BTW, it would be nice to have one location to have all services available
> at - sorta like /etc/init.d on some systems. This change moves away from
> that.

The problem with that (as previously mentioned) is the same reason
we install pacakges in /usr/pkg/bin and not /usr/bin; potential name
conflicts between system stuff and package stuff. Also, there's been a
convincing argument for people wanting to keep stuff separate.

If we support /etc/rc.d /etc/rc.local.d /etc/rc.pkg.d and you decide
to put everything in /etc/rc.d, then you are quite welcome to, since
the latter two directories are empty in a netbsd install anyway, and
shouldn't be modified by netbsd's installation or update procedures
since they're local stuff.