Subject: whatis.db does not contain the architecture name
From: Julian Coleman <J.D.Coleman@newcastle.ac.uk>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 02/13/2000 18:30:02
Now we have all the manual pages for all the ports installed, I can browse
all ports' man pages ... if I know which architecture they belong to.  For
example (on a sparc) :

  $ man -k mouse
  busmouse (4) - Bus mouse driver
  lms (4) - Logitech-style bus mouse driver
  $ man lms
  man: no entry for lms in the manual.

Hmm ... aha!

  $ for p in /usr/src/sys/arch/*; do MACHINE=`basename $p` man lms; done # ;-)
  man: no entry for lms in the manual.
  man: no entry for lms in the manual.
  LMS(4)                 NetBSD/i386  Programmer's Manual                 LMS(4)

Wouldn't it be nice if `man -k` said :

  busmouse (4 i386) - Bus mouse driver
  lms (4 i386) - Logitech-style bus mouse driver

(or similar)?

(I was thinking of adding this anyway, but I thought I'd just gather opinion
first.)

--
                    My other computer also runs NetBSD
                          http://www.netbsd.org/