Subject: resolv.conf and multiple ISPs and nameservers
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Brian C. Grayson <bgrayson@marvin.ece.utexas.edu>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 01/12/2000 21:51:29
  I have two different dialup ISPs that I use (work and
not-work).  The work one is firewall-contained, so I need to
use the work DNS server when I dial in to there.  When I dial
up into not-work, obviously it can't use the nameserver behind
the work firewall.

  Would there be any objections to hacks so that once a
nameserver timed out, and another was successfully reached,
that future processes would start off using the known-good
server at first?  I have one solution in mind, but if this
violates some standards or something, then it isn't worth further
discussion.  :)

  Lastly, which resolve library is the one to use?  Should
libresolv be obsoleted, and use reachover to grab the one out
of bind?

  Brian Grayson