Subject: re: src/gnu/usr.bin/egcs/common
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: matthew green <mrg@eterna.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/18/1999 13:28:46
   Just curious... with all this talk about how hard it is to bump libc's
   major version, I was wondering how we managed to get up to libc.so.12?
   I started with 386BSD and NetBSD 0.8 (and maybe 0.9), which didn't have
   shared libs... went away for a bit and came back around 1.1 or so, and
   libc was already at 12 :)

% env CVS_RSH=ssh cvs -d anoncvs@anoncvs.netbsd.org:/cvsroot log basesrc/lib/libc/shlib_version

will give you all the answers you need.

actually, it will probably give you more questions than answer, but it
seems that the answers to some of those questions are lost in time...
eg, i once asked cgd about the "double major bump" you'll see in there
but he doesn't recall what it was about anymore.