Subject: Re: A report on implementing runlevels in NetBSD
To: NetBSD Userlevel Technical Discussion List <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: Guenther Grau <Guenther.Grau@de.bosch.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/08/1999 16:06:50
Hi Ignatios,

Ignatios Souvatzis wrote:
[...]
> Just don't try to run Solaris 7/386 as a NFS server. I have witnessed that

We don't run Solaris on any x86 hardware, so I can't comment on that.
Good to know, so I can convince my managers we need more Sparc hardware
:-)

> it has very slow I/O. Don't know, how other systems would perform with the
> same load (e.g., us or FreeBSD or BSDi or Linux; I don't count NT in there)...
>
> I didn't dare to try 7 on our Sparcs because of the big load of new problems
> reported... why care to upgrade (which is work) instead of using the machines
> that have all necessary patches in by now for stable operation?

Well, If you don't use any software that requires it, then I wouldn't do
it as well. But the tools we use and our marketing/sales force/technical
support don't like changing operating system releases, so I decided to
go for Solaris 7 now and stay with it for as long as possible.

> I'm very tempted to use 8, however, for IPv6 support.

We have no need for IPv6 right now. I will try it out on my personal
system to get some experience.

  Guenther