Subject: Re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: Julian Assange <proff@iq.org>
From: Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanchez@apple.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/07/1999 13:44:51
| Actually, you will probably get incredibly slow boot times, because
| netbsd (and most unixs) have no concept of the huge inefficiencies
| involved in DISK context switching. And thus make essentially no
| attempt to minimise it.

  What little testing I have done with this strongly suggests
otherwise.  Perhaps NetBSD has different disk usage characteristics
than Darwin, but I'd be surprised if it were that bad.  My point was
that not all startup items are disk bound, and my mixing in a disk
task with another waiting on the network, you get a big win.

	-Fred

--
       Wilfredo Sanchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD