Subject: Re: CVS commit: basesrc
To: Simon Burge <simonb@netbsd.org>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/04/1999 04:57:55
> Using "test $$dest -ef ${__objdir}" would be bit more efficient.  The
> following seems to work for a few test cases:

In general, I don't trust -ef to not have occasional false positives
(for instance, consider the case of NFS to a remote device with a Very
Large filesystem, It's not possible to have a 32-bit
unique-within-filesystem identifier if there are more than 2**32 files
on the box.  NFS will make do as best it can, but will no doubt have
to generate duplicate-appearing inode numbers every now and then).

						- Bill