Subject: Re: A report on implementing runlevels in NetBSD
To: Reynolds, Scott <Scott.Reynolds@plexus.com>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/04/1999 15:50:34
On Fri, 3 Dec 1999 19:44:06 -0600  "Reynolds, Scott" wrote:

> Some clarification:

OK, so in there we pick out that Solaris steals both runlevels 5 and 6
to do hardware stuff, and S and 0 aren't quite the same thing.

I had glossed over the fact that HP-UX has had different default
runlevels depending on the OS revision and the architecture.  I didn't
think anyone would really have wanted to know.  (In case you care, as
of HP-UX 10.X software installation is now done in multiuser mode. :-)

So of the 0-6 runlevels, 0, 5 and 6 aren't available.  The vendor
might otherwise use up some or all of 1, 2 and 3.

Whatever NetBSD chooses to do, it should choose it and do it.  Looking
to the SysV based commercial systems for direction even on such a SysV
thing as runlevels is going to lose.

Regards,

Giles (thank heavens nobody mentioned AIX!)