Subject: Re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: R. C. Dowdeswell <elric@imrryr.org>
From: Wilfredo Sanchez <wsanchez@apple.com>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/03/1999 12:53:32
| Yeah, I was thinking about this after I sent the last email, you
| could have a -j flag equivalent, which would be especially useful
| on SMP machines in the future.

  You'll get a big win on UP as well.  There often are phases in the
startup that are temporarily disk-bound (clean up /tmp) or network
bound (start sendmail), or CPU bound.  If you can launch a few of
these in parallell, you'll get much better resource usage and faster
boot times.

	-Fred

--
       Wilfredo Sanchez, wsanchez@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc., Core Operating Systems / BSD