Subject: Re: PROPOSAL: /etc/rc, /etc/init.d/*, ...
To: None <tech-userlevel@netbsd.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/02/1999 21:54:54
>> The nice thing about the sysv S* and K* numbering is that it's all
>> very explicit what's going on and when...
> ... and you don't have to keep information about it in a single
> config file again (rc.conf).

The flip side of which, of course, is that you *can't* keep all the
information about it in a single file, a single well-localized place so
that you know when you want to fiddle your startup, you go there to do
it.  Instead, it's scattered all over hell's back acre.  When I need to
fiddle the boot scripts on IRIX, I usually have to resort to greps in
the rc*.d directories to figure out what to even look at.

					der Mouse

			       mouse@rodents.montreal.qc.ca