Subject: Re: take 2; which way should we go for /etc/rc...
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: tech-userlevel
Date: 12/02/1999 10:57:16
On Thu, 02 Dec 1999 11:47:39 -0700 (MST)
 Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net> wrote:

 > I really do not want runlevels.  All I want are "services"  If I want the httpd
 > service to start.. I want to just say "/etc/???/httpd start"  I've allways
 > hated trying to guess my way through a bunch of meaningless numbers in solaris
 > so I could arrive at some destination point.  If I want X running, it shouldn't
 > matter what silly level I'm at.. it should start X.

Okay....

So, runlevels are useful in many circumstances... For example, I often boot
devel machines into single-user mode but also want networking up.  Being
able to boot into runlevel 1 (single-user + networking) would be useful
to me.

Plus, runlevels don't mean you can't say:

	/etc/init.d/httpd start

In fact, systems with runlevels explitcly support that.